Monday, October 24, 2011

Small Farm/Ranch For Sale near Chillán, Chile

Via Survival
9 Hectares (approx. 22.7 acres) Excellent Farm Land with Furnished Home and view of the magnificent Andes Mountains in Central-Southern Bio-Bio Region of Chile

Home is newly constructed in late 2008, and has living, dining, kitchen and two bedrooms and two full baths plus separate laundry room, and is equipped with DirecTV-Plus (DVR), and DSL internet service. Home is equipped with a solar panel system that provides part of our electrical service. Most of the year we have bright sunny days and on these days we power the whole house which includes two large chest type freezers, one refrigerator, DirecTV with 32" LCD Monitor, computer and phones, and automatic washer, and lighting, daily from about 7 AM to 7 PM and then switch to the power company during the night hours. All appliances and furniture are less than three years old and we prefer to sell the home and place fully furnished as-is except for our personal computers and personal things. We have separate gas instant type hot water heaters for the kitchen and baths. Two gas ranges are setup for cooking. Home is located in fenced in area and includes a huge vegetable garden area where we grow most of our food for the whole year. Also in this fenced area are our permanent blueberries, raspberries, and over 200 asparagus plants for personal use.

We have set out about 140 young fruit trees in our "private orchard", including apples, pears, plums, apricots, oranges, tangerines, lemons, cherries, almonds, walnuts, olives, quince, and grapes. All of these are irrigated. We have two sources of water - one is a deep well we had drilled in February 2009 which is 55 meters deep. In the well is a 3 HP, deep well pump with 2" outlet pipe. We have a separate legal title to the water rights. We also constructed a "tranque", or surface reservoir that fills up with over 2 million liters of water during the rains that occur in July. This reservoir is for a backup water source for irrigation during the summer months if needed, however the deep well has proven to be 100% reliable, so we have put a few young catfish in the reservoir. The well provides excellent crystal clear fresh water. We have underground 2" lines set up with 2" valves to control the flow of water from the well to any section of our land for irrigation. A 2000 liter tank is installed near our home on a tower to provide water pressure to our home.

Included is all farm equipment, all new since 2008, and includes one 55HP 4 wheel drive diesel farm tractor with cab, disc harrow, 6 disc powered plow, 2 meter wide roto-tiller, double sided grading blade, two row hiller, two row potato planter, tractor mounted sprayer, and two row potato harvester. There are two farm buildings, a two car garage and one wood frame metal farm building size 16 ft. x 66 ft.

There is an old home place on the property near the center which includes two houses, one very old adobe type construction, and one other house, neither livable without much work. This old place has quite a few older fruit trees around the house including several apples, several peaches, plums, cherries, avocados, and two almond trees, plus numerous bulb type flowers and some roses. Near this old home place, we have fenced in a large area, maybe ½ acre, for a chicken yard and we have laying hens and roosters that provide us with all of our healthy fresh eggs daily. They go with the place.

Three Red Angus beef cattle are included (negotiable if you don't want them) consisting of two cows and one calf born September 2, 2011, the other bred with a Black Angus bull, due to calve about December 2011.

This small farm is an excellent opportunity for someone who is interested in living a more self-sufficient lifestyle and wants to live in a healthy, clean air, free from polluted environments. Our place is by the highway between Chillan and Coihueco, about 17 km from Chillan - only a 15 minute drive. Chillan is an important city and center of agricultural activity and has a shopping center, many banks, three large supermarket chains including Jumbo and Lider and Unimarc.... Lider is the one bought out recently by Wal-Mart. It is about a one hour and 15 minute drive to the Pacific ocean and the city of Concepcion--the second largest city in Chile, and about a one hour drive to the snow capped Termas de Chillan Ski Resort and Hot Springs, also known as Nevados de Chillan. We have a clear view of the snow capped mountains here all year long which are about 36 miles away direct.

Why are we selling? We love this place and built it with the plan to spend the rest of our life here. Unfortunately, my wife and I both have some severe arthritis problems with painful joints and two different doctors have advised us to move to a drier area in the Atacama desert of Chile and we will have much fewer pains. We hope that works.

Price Reduced September, 2011! We are asking 195 million Chilean pesos and at current exchange rates, that is about $375,000 USD was $420,000. Final price to be negotiated when you see the property.


Click on a thumbnail image to view the full-sized image.

4 comments:

  1. That is a hell of a steal. That kink of place here in the US w/ all the extra's would go for +$1.5M. Land here around me is crazy, about $8k/ac for poor land. Good producing or desirable locale is $15k/ac

    ReplyDelete
  2. It also would be good for more than one family which would be ideal. I checked out the gun laws and they are a pain, but they are largely ignored. From the same source.

    I hope everything is going well for you and your family! Every day that passes makes me realize how blessed I am to be out of the states and living at a great retreat location in Chile.
    I was reading your site yesterday and saw your article asking for information about foreign gun laws. I recently purchased a new shotgun in Chile and will share that experience with you. First, I don't think most Chileans follow the gun laws here. The law is that you must register every weapon you own, and registration is limited to three per person, but no limit per family. That means I could register three in my name, three in my wife's name, etc. Laws state you must keep your weapon in your home and if you transport in somewhere else, you must ask for permission and get a form to do so. If you are stopped by the police and have a weapon without the transport form, they have the right to seize it. (I have been stopped many times for a registration check, and they have never searched the vehicle or asked about weapons, so this is a very remote possibility in normal times, IMHO).

    From those restrictions, you can see why I feel most Chileans don't follow the law. I wanted to ship down my grandfather's old Mossberg, but since it didn't have a serial number, and the associated government paper hassle, I just bought a new one here. When buying from a dealer, you have to follow the rules, and being a foreign national residing here, I went along (for my first). I wanted a basic Mossberg pump action 12 gauge, and the dealer informed me I had to pass a hunting exam before I could buy the gun. He gave me some example tests, true-false questions, and I went to register for the test. Not being a native spanish speaker, I was a little worried about the exam. It cost about $24 US to get a study book and pay for the test. The exam covered all the separate hunting laws for the country, broken down by state. I had to know the dove daily limits for a region 1,500 miles from my house! Unbelievable. I managed to luck through the test and pass with a 70%, even though none of the test questions given to me by the dealer were on the test- wouldn't you know it!

    Continued

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once I had my hunting license I returned to the gun dealer/ sport shop. I paid for the gun, and then they took me to the local Chilean army office to register it. On the way, the dealer casually mentioned I had to take a test there to ensure I knew the proper care and maintenance of the shotgun I was buying! I had no idea what those names were, so I had about 10 minutes to learn what a sight, breach, stock, etc were called in spanish, and I lucked my way through another multiple choice test on basic maintenance, and how many shells I was able to buy at a time, etc. What a pain! Now you see why I think most chileans skip this law. Everyone was quite nice and helpful, it was just the process that stank.

    The next step was needing the police to check my residence on the application to ensure that I lived there. Well, I live 150km from this town, and I could not take possession of my gun until my residence was checked. For this reason I used a friend's residence in the town. I was checked out and returned the next morning for my shotgun. What an ordeal. Total cost, not including the shotgun itself, was about $60 US. Fortunately, now I have my legally registered shotgun, even though it is registered at a residence far far away, so it would take some searching to find me if the officials were so inclined. Obviously my next weapons purchase will be from an locals to skip the whole bureaucratic nightmare. Since I live way off the beaten path and know the local police, I am not worried, but the national system here is set up for potential confiscation if necessary- remnants of the 1970's and the civil war/Pinochet days.

    Hope you find this informative. Chile is a great country for old German rifles and such like. I look forward to getting a Winchester .44-40, .357, and other weapons off of the grid. I've actually had my folks bring down boxes of rifle shells and deer slugs in their airline luggage- no problem with customs. In other news, I now have my pigs, chickens, and the sheep are on the way! Fresh eggs and ham through any crisis! Best wishes. - Bruce

    ReplyDelete