Thursday, October 20, 2011

Buchanan: GOP Risks Third Party Revolt with Romney Candidacy

The GOP could face a revolt from within its tea party grassroots base if it nominates an establishment candidate without true conservative, anti-big government values, one of America’s leading conservative pundits tells Newsmax.TV in an exclusive interview.

Specifically, columnist and former Republican presidential candidate Pat Buchanan told Newsmax that the nomination of former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, the architect of a state insurance plan that many say inspired Obamacare, could prompt the tea party movement to form a third party.

“It’s a real possibility because the tea party folks and the Republican conservatives and social conservatives and others are very apprehensive of Mitt Romney and they don’t feel he is really one of us,” Buchanan told Newsmax.

“They’ve got reason for that feeling and that sentiment but if they do that, if, for example … they persuaded Ron Paul to run on a third party ticket, Barack Obama would be easily re-elected,” he added.

2 comments:

  1. I agree about the revolt - but NOT that it automatically adds up to Dear Reader's reelection.

    I have sworn that I would vote for Obama before Romney - and I MEAN IT! Given a choice I'd HAPPILY vote third-party for Paul, Cain, or any other genuine Constitutionalist!

    Absent a REAL CONSERVATIVE in the WH, I believe our Republic will be unable to avoid collapse and bloodshed.

    I believe Romney or some other D.I.A.B.L.O. would merely delay the inevitable, and string out the crash, whereas Obama would pull out all the stops to "git r done."

    If we've got something ugly to do, best to get it over with.

    Therefore - if forced to choose between Romney and Obama, I'll vote Obama and encourage everyone I can to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is always the forlorn hope that Paul could pull enough from the Independents and liberals.

    ReplyDelete