Thursday, October 20, 2011

Another side of the story: May 25/29/30 1865

Via Southern Nationalist Network
May25
My Negroes have made no change in their behavior, and are going on as they have always hitherto done. Until I know that they are legally free, I shall let them continue. If they become free by law then the whole system must be changed. If the means which I now possess of supporting the old and the young are taken away, they must then necessarily look for their support to their own exertions.

May 29
As Gen. Gillmore's order, based upon Chief Justice Chase's opinion, announces the freedom of the Negroes there is no further room to doubt that it is the settled policy of the country. I have today formally announced to my Negroes the fact, and made such arrangements with each as the new relation rendered necessary. Those whose whole time we need, get at present clothes and food, house rent and medical attendance. The others work for themselves giving me a portion of their time on the farm in lieu of house rent. Old Amelia and her two grandchildren, I will spare the mockery of offering freedom to. I must support them as long as I have anything to give.

May 30
My Negroes all express a desire to remain with me. I am gratified at the proof of their attachment. I believe it to be real and unfeigned.

For the present they will remain, but in course of time we must part, as I cannot afford to keep so many, and they cannot afford to hire for what I could give them. As they have always been faithful and attached to us, and have been raised as family servants, and have all of them been in our family for several generations, there is a feeling towards them somewhat like that of a father who is about to send out his children on the world to make their way through life.

========
Another side of the story: May 29/30 1865

3 comments:

  1. The traitor Yankees are the ones who vilified the slave owners and said that they beat them with a whip.

    Your post is what is typical of 99% of the Southern slave owners. They treated most of them like extended family. When the time came to free them, most did want to stay on with the plantation owners. And likewise the plantation owners knew that they could not continue to operate the farms w/o them.

    Just more attempts to justify the war on the CSA

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my daughter was in Elementary school, our usual conversation about her day revealed they were studying "the civil (sic) war."

    For clarity, I was born in the south, and raised a few miles from the Mason-Dixon line. I was a reenactor for some years in my youth, and have engaged in continuous study of the period since. As a result, I'd say without bragging I'm more knowledgeable on the topic than 99% of our population, including those with "academic credentials" permitting them to claim to be "experts." So - naturally - I wanted to know more about what she was being taught...

    "So... Tell me about it!" I said
    "Well... Abraham Lincoln wanted to free all the slaves, but the South-People didn't want to let them go, so THEY ("The South People") started a war!"

    Yes - of COURSE I went to see the teacher - what did you THINK I'd do?!

    It took but SECONDS for me to know beyond question that this "professional educator" knew NOTHING about the topic - and thus was teaching straight from the textbook and the "lesson-plans" provided to her.

    This was the same teacher who later marked the same daughter WRONG on a spelling test for spelling a word CORRECTLY - because it was spelled INCORRECTLY in "the book" and "the book" was what she was obligated to teach!

    I wish I were joking...

    Though I did what I could to try to educate the teacher, the HARDEST part was educating my DAUGHTER - while also ensuring that she'd keep her knowledge to herself for the time so as to avoid the inevitable conflict with her teacher and others...

    All in all it was good experience - she learned young how to survive in academia (parrot the party-line, study on your own to learn the TRUTH) and how to avoid being sucked in to the borg-like collective of idiocy.

    The whole "OWS" sickness is nothing less than the logical outcome of self-esteem "education" these poor kids have been raised in.

    God help us - and GOD SAVE OUR REPUBLIC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the same teacher who later marked the same daughter WRONG on a spelling test for spelling a word CORRECTLY - because it was spelled INCORRECTLY in "the book" and "the book" was what she was obligated to teach!

    Couldn't make these things up!

    ReplyDelete