Friday, September 16, 2011

Boehner & Obama: "Like two different people from two different planets."



House Speaker John Boehner describes himself as "a pretty simple guy" who sleeps well at night and doesn't get angry despite the frustrations of working with a Democratic president and his own often-recalcitrant Republican colleagues.

Boehner, answering questions after a speech on jobs at the Economic Club of Washington D.C., also compared his youth, when he grew up with 11 siblings, to his current job. The "chaos," he said, "is the same thing I deal with every day." And one benefit of working in his father's bar in Cincinnati was that "you have to learn to deal with every jackass who walks through the door."

Relaxed and joking, Boehner said he was "happy that I got the job" of Speaker after Republicans captured the House last year, but added that "I'm not having any fun. Somebody show me where the fun is."

He said that while "I'm not leaving anytime soon," he'd "like to accomplish my mission" and get out.

He also said he has no interest in being the vice presidential candidate on the GOP ticket next year. "It's hard enough for me to go to funerals of people I know, much less people I don't know."

Boehner said he and President Barack Obama "have a very good relationship" although they come from different worlds and sometimes their conversations are "like two different people from two different planets."

No comments:

Post a Comment