Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Ocracoke/Rodanthe damage from Hurricane Irene

Via Cousin Colby



I lost my power on Saturday morning around 7 A.M. and finally got it back around 5:30 on Monday Afternoon. Got my phone back around 8 P.M. on Monday. My Mom still is without power. A lot of trees down all over the area, that toppled many electrical and phone lines. I lost my mailbox and 4 shutters on my home and a little water got into my garage. Other than that I made out really well. I have no trees in my yard. My neighbor across the street lost 6 trees and one of them on his utility shed. I have been busy cleaning up my Mom’s yard, which was covered with pecan limbs. My Mom had no other damage to the home or out-buildings. '

Other neighbors though did not have as good as luck as we did. One of my brothers lives on the Pamilco river and he has his house on stilts and water was 4 feet under his house. His son lives next door and he had 13 inches of rain in his home and caused a lot of damage. They are calling this hurricane the worst yet for damage, even though it was not the strongest category hurricane. We had sustained winds of 60-80 miles of wind from 10 PM on Friday night until 6 PM on Saturday evening.

The pictures below show some of the damage done on Ocracoke which was to the right of the hurricane. The right side is always more destructive than the left side, with higher winds.

2 comments:

  1. Welp Brock... looks like the deal fell through... the owners were pushing for a fast close, the officials down there just don't have the time with the cleanup to help me sort through all the regs...

    So, I withdrew my offer...
    12.25 acres... 2 acre pond.. stocked pond... 1/2 mile from the sound...
    And too many people telling me what I could and could not do.
    A dream... gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take it they couldn't tell you what was permissible as far as zoning?

    ReplyDelete