Monday, August 8, 2011

The Mighty Bore Boxlock Muzzleloader shoots 1/2 pound ball!


"Among other weapons, I had an extraordinary rifle that carried a half-pound percussion shell; this instrument of torture to the hunter was not sufficiently heavy for the weight of the projectile: it only weighted twenty pounds, thus with a charge of ten drachms of powder and a HALF-POUND shell, the recoil was so terrific, that I spun around like a weathercock in a hurricane. I really dreaded my own rifle, although I have been accustomed to heavy charges of powder and severe recoils for some years. None of my men could fire it, and it was looked upon as a species of awe, and it was name "Jenna-El-Mootfah" (Child of a Canon) by the Arabs, which being a far too long of a name for practice, I christened it the "Baby", and the scream of this "Baby" loaded with a half-pound shell was always fatal. It was too severe, and I seldom fired it, but it is a curious fact that I never shot a fire with that rifle without bagging. The entire practice, during several years, was confined to about twenty shots. I was afraid to use it, but now and then as it was absolutely necessary, it was cleaned after months of staying loaded. On such occasions my men had the gratification of firing it, and the explosion was always accompanied by two men falling on their backs (one having propped up the shooter) and the "Baby" flying some yards behind them. This rifle was made by Holland and Holland, of Bond Street, and I could highly recommend it for the Goliath of Gath, but not for the men of AD 1866. "

Sir Samuel Baker-The Albert N'Yanza, Great Basin Of The Nile, 1866 pp.138

NOW DOESN'T THAT SOUND LIKE FUN??

The Finished Rifle

This is actually the final post to this build, I have finished building the rifle case and these are the finished pictures. This has been a very fun project to build and shoot. I hope everyone who has followed along has enjoyed this build. All I'm missing is the handle for the center of the rifle case, I haven't found exactly what I am looking for yet, it does have brass handles on each end of the case so it is easy to pick up and move around . Which is good because with the weight of the rifle at 24 pounds, the weight of the case and then the potential to hold 24 pounds of cast balls, it may take two people to carry it.

No comments:

Post a Comment