Friday, June 24, 2011

Time magazine cover features shredded U.S. Constitution, asks if it still matters



Via Angry White Dude

Provocative? Perhaps, but that’s nothing new for Time magazine with a history of taking iconic American symbols and using them to make political statements.

On Thursday on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe,” Time magazine editor Richard Stengel presented the cover of his new July 4 issue, which features the U.S. Constitution going through a paper shredder and asks does the document still matter. According to Stengel, it does, but not as much anymore.

“Yes, of course it still matters but in some ways it matters less than people think.......

======

Evidently for you, my Collectivist enemy, but we shall meet and decide at some point.

4 comments:

  1. Before my awakening from the matrix, I had a subscription to Time for many years. But it’s increasingly strident leftism probably was a factor in jarring me awake. They no longer get a nickel of my money, and these days every time I read something from Time I am reminded of why that’s the case.

    As for the Constitution… well I suppose this warrants a blog post all its own. But basically it’s like this: I recognize the need for a rock solid constitution codifying the principals of a governing system. None of this “living document” nonsense!

    On the other hand, I’m no document worshipper either. I fervently wish the anti-federalists had gained the upper hand in the constitutional convention and subsequent ratification debates. The end product was grievously flawed in my opinion.

    I have to believe, for example, that all those learned men could have crafted a much better written 2A!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you and as far as the second is concerned, I imagine they had no idea it could possibly come to this. I'm sure they are ashamed of us and rightly so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashamed of us? Perhaps. More likely shaking their heads in wonder at the fact that we have thrown common sense and logic out the window. Probably amazed that we find pleasure and comfort more important than freedom and liberty. Disappointed in us? Most definitely. We have certainly let them, and ourselves, down.

    They warned us very precisely what would happen to us if we strayed. They were right. Precisely right.

    We are stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They warned us very precisely what would happen to us if we strayed. They were right. Precisely right.

    We are stupid.

    Well said.

    ReplyDelete