Thursday, May 5, 2011

LEAGUE OF THE SOUTH TORNADO RELIEF FUND UPDATE

The League of the South

5 MAY 2011

Compatriots: Yesterday, I went down into the heart of the tornado damage area in NW Alabama. There are many little communities that have been by-passed and virtually forgotten by the relief efforts. I found two in extreme north Marion County--Shiloh and Clifty Creek. The local volunteers at the fire station in Shiloh community were very happy to see supplies coming in. I told them we would be back. They asked who "we" were and I told them The League of the South. They asked for the website address and other info and said they would not forget us. Moreover, they said they would let the storm victims know as well. This is what it means to be "servant leaders," something we claim to be.

As of this afternoon (5 May), we have raised exactly $4,375. That's in only four days of fundraising. Thanks to you all for your generosity. The largest single donation has been $1000--I challenge someone to top it! These poor folks we are serving really need and appreciate it.

Sara has really worked hard as our official Purchasing Agent, though she is not satisfied with her performance (she thinks she can save even more on her purchases). My 82-year-old Mama (a proud LS member) sent a good deal of cash to buy my gasoline for these trips--she still works a 40-hour week). My youngest daughter has been volunteering as a cook in Tuscaloosa to help feed the workers there. I'm really proud of my family, both biological and League!

I had intended to have the 2011 LS national conference agenda finalized by next week, but it looks as if I'll have to delay it because of our relief work. Once it's completed, I'll notify everyone and we'll post it on our www.dixienet.org website.

Hang in there,

FSI,
Michael Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment