Monday, March 21, 2011

NC Congressman Heath Shuler says he will carry a gun

"If we resort for a criterion to the different principles on which different forms of government are established, we may define a republic to be, or at least may bestow that name on, a government which derives all its powers directly or indirectly from the great body of the people, and is administered by persons holding their offices during pleasure for a limited period, or during good behavior."
--James Madison, Federalist No. 39
===================================================================
View Image

In response to the Arizona shooting rampage, NC Congressman Heath Shuler has confirmed that he will carry a gun himself for protection at state public events.

“I, like many of my constituents and staff in Western North Carolina, strongly support the Second Amendment and do exercise our right to legally and safely carry a firearm,” Shuler (Democrat-Waynesville) said in a statement to the Times-News.

Shuler was first quoted by The Politico newspaper on Monday as saying he would be armed for future events.

"You never think something like this will happen, but then it does," Shuler said. "After the elections, I let my guard down. Now I know I need to have (my gun) on me. We're going to need to do a much better job of with security at these events."

Shuler has he’s encouraging his staff members to apply for the same NC conceal and carry permits he already has.

No comments:

Post a Comment