Friday, March 11, 2011

The Kitchen Prayer

"Today in 1864 commenced the Union Army's Red River Campaign into upper Louisiana from New Orleans. In that campaign the Union Army [sic] committed more atrocities against slaves and other civilians, & was responsible for more slave deaths, than any other I am aware of. You can read about it in the affidavits assembled by the Louisiana governor's commission not long after the fact."

--The Moneychanger
================================================================

My mother kept this on her "icebox" as she called it and I used the term also until my late teens! It is now on mine at Dixieland.
==========================================================
View Image

Kitchen Prayer

Klara Munkres


Lord of all pots and pans and things
Since I’ve not time to be
A saint by doing lovely things or
Watching late with Thee
Or dreaming in the dawn light or
Storming Heaven’s gates
Make me a saint by getting meals and
Washing up the plates.

Although I must have Martha’s hands,
I have a Mary mind
And when I black the boots and shoes,
Thy sandals Lord I find.
I think of how they trod the earth,
What time I scrub the floor
Accept this meditation Lord,
I haven’t time for more.

Warm all the kitchen with Thy love,
And light it with Thy peace
Forgive me all my worrying and make
My grumbling cease.
Thou who didst love to give men food,
In room or by the sea
Accept this service that I do,
I do it unto Thee.

===================

The Kitchen Prayer

2 comments:

  1. Very tender poem! I found this cute one and wonder if anyone knows it's author: elizamarieclancy@yahoo.com

    Thank God for dirty dishes
    They have a tale to tell
    While others may go hungry
    We're eating very well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God for dirty dishes
    They have a tale to tell
    While others may go hungry
    We're eating very well

    :)

    ReplyDelete