Saturday, November 6, 2010

"Texas In 1880"

"........ I never saw the video that CMT played till this morning. I just knew I loved the song. Life is a mysterious thing, if you will view the video and at 1:56 you will see my Indian grandpa tip his hat and the line in the song is tip your hat. I sat here first time I saw it, smiled knowing it was him then cried like a baby because I miss him...........he taught me how to drive, ride, drink and smoke, some good some bad, he worked the oilfields of TX and OK when drilling rigs were made of wood, then he rodeoed when he could, first the bulls then bare back bronks then when he got too busted up he became a rodeo clown for the bull riders. I am very pleased to be able to share one of my favorite songs, but feel privileged to be able to share my grandpa on film with you...........btw after all the hard years, he retired as a bunny bread man........... the week he retired he bought a Shetland pony for my niece the first week the pony came to grandpas it kicked him, broke his arm, he never went to the Dr. He set it himself.............in 3 months he got sick, bone cancer set in where the break was, he laid for 7 miserable months in bed before he died in his own bed. never went to the hospital ever . he was one tough ole NDN that was 1969 I still miss him..........................."

T

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that was something. I have a very close story to my life as I guess you know. Your grandfather was the type we used to talk about in the oil field when we would say: "That was back when derrick was wood and the men were iron." And, a bull rider like me, too. I would have enjoyed listening to anything the man might have said.
    Thanks for letting me see this and him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That wasn't my grandfather, but my Injun' friend T, but I will mention your words to him as I know he will appreciate them. He just visited here recently.
    It's Been A Long Hard Road 2010 Tour, Cape Carteret, NC
    http://www.namsouth.com/viewtopic.php?t=4066&highlight=t

    ReplyDelete